Liverpool News

Liverpool U21s concerned as they lose 3-0 to Manchester City

By Charles Cornwall

Liverpool U21s concerned as they lose 3-0 to Manchester City

Liverpool U21s were beaten 3-0 by Manchester City in their opening game of the new Premier League 2 season on Sunday.

Síguenos enSíguenos en Google News

Adedire Mebude’s eighth-minute finish at the Kirkby Academy separated the sides at the break as the Reds saw several chances denied. And City ensured all three points during the second period as Mebude and Daniel Ogwuru struck in quick succession.

Barry Lewtas’ team were the first to threaten as, in the third minute, James Norris and Luke Chambers combined to set up Melkamu Frauendorf at the near post, but his finish was just wide. City then took the lead at the other end, Mebude escaping several Liverpool challenges on his drive into the penalty area and sending a finish past Harvey Davies.

More Liverpool news:

The home side needed their goalkeeper to prevent the deficit from increasing, first with an excellent save to thwart Samuel Edozie’s effort from the right side of the box. After City’s Kian Breckin fired a shot narrowly off target from 20 yards, Davies produced another important stop at the feet of Carlos Borges.

The Reds responded as the interval loomed and could have equalised when a clever pass over the top by Stefan Bajcetic invited Frauendorf to chase through the middle. City goalkeeper Mikki van Sas missed the ball but when Frauendorf sent it across the area, there was no teammate able to capitalise.

Norris then volleyed a promising opportunity too high from inside the box when a Liverpool corner was not fully cleared, as the visitors took their lead into half-time.

Second time

Lewtas’ charges fashioned another great chance to level shortly after the restart when Layton Stewart blocked a clearance high up the pitch. Jake Cain slid a slick pass into Norris in space on his left but his attempt was dragged wide. From there, City pounced and Davies had already stopped Mebude from point-blank range before he added his and the away team’s second goal of the afternoon on 64 minutes.

Borges broke clear along the left flank and squared for Mebude to convert, and their third soon followed as Ogwuru got in behind and found the net. The Reds continued to battle for a way back into the game, Chambers and Stewart drawing saves from the ’keeper, but City saw it out to take maximum points. Liverpool are back in PL2 action when they travel to Brighton & Hove Albion next Sunday.

Liverpool U21s: Davies, Mabaya, Chambers, Quansah, Jonas, Bajcetic (Corness, 72), Frauendorf (Woltman, 66), Clark (Cannonier, 72), Stewart, Cain, Norris (Musialowski, 66). Unused substitute: Hewitson.

More news